In 1955, Arlington County issued bonds to finance the construction of fire stations.
Station No. 9, on South Walter Reed Drive, and Station No. 10, in Rosslyn, were the first stations actually owned and operated by the county government. The other stations were owned by volunteer companies.
Station No. 9 opened in 1957 and Station No. 10 opened in 1958.
Today, Station No. 3, in Cherrydale, is the last of the volunteer-owned firehouses in Arlington County.